‘’Sound, especially when recorded, transmitted, or reproduced.’’ (Oxford, 2016)
It is useful to know how to set up a PA system. A PA system usually consists of a set of speakers, a source of sound and a mixing desk.
To set it up, you must:
- Place the speaker onto a stand and tighten the screw. (Figure 1)
- Connect the speaker to the mixing desk using leads, making sure that the power remains OFF.
- Connect a source of sound (microphone) to the mixing desk. (Figure 2)
- Turn on the mixing desk first, and then the speakers to use the system.
- When turning the system off, do the exact same, but in reverse order.
For more information on how to set up a PA system, watch this video.
When working with a band or performer, they should usually supply you with a technical specification (or tech spec). It is… ‘’a document outlining all the necessary technical information of a facility or band.’’ (Audio, 2010) This informs the venue technicians of what they are setting up.
For information on how to fill one out, click here.
Click here: AUDIO, Total Pro. 2010. “How to write a band technical specification.” [online]. Available at: http://totalproaudio.stevebunting.com/12/paperwork/how-to-write-a-band-technical-specification/ [accessed 27 October 2016].
Watch this video: BEAMWORKSPRODUCTIONS. 2013. How to set up a simple PA System Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmHvvf8UKfs [accessed 27 October 2016].
OXFORD. 2016. Audio. Oxford University Press. Available at: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/audio [accessed 27 October 2016].
Figure 1: Available at: http://www.rhino-products.biz/catalogue/product/speaker-stand-steel [accessed 27 October 2016].
Figure 2. Woodward, Jack, 2016.